Steampunk Style Photos

Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. Various modern utilitarian objects such as computer keyboards and electric guitars have been reimplemented by individual craftpersons in a pseudo-Victorian mechanical “steampunk” style. Check out the photos!

steam007_1

39 Responses to Steampunk Style Photos

1. Silveira Neto November 13, 2007 at 12:19 pm #

Very good.

2. Gumball November 13, 2007 at 10:03 pm #

w.t.f.

3. PAz November 24, 2007 at 3:25 pm #

That has got to be the most awesome thing I’ve seen in quite some time. Rock on.

4. Rico Suave November 27, 2007 at 12:24 am #

Take some time to use Photoshop and sepia-tone the pictures, add some scratches… That way, it’s harder to see that some of the toys are made of plastic!

5. Lord Djaghtai December 13, 2007 at 3:21 am #

LONG LIVE ALBANIA!!!

6. Van Stuker December 18, 2007 at 1:53 am #

Wow, they need something better to do, like create the video game they think they are in, but they barely made half the stuff out of toys and crap lying around their parent’s house. And only one of the chicks is moderately attractive.

7. Pjotr December 20, 2007 at 6:23 pm #

No fat chicks!

8. joe December 23, 2007 at 7:36 am #

yeah, learn some metal and wood working, then give me a call. in the meantime, i hope you enjoy bastardizing steampunk, turning it into geek-fest ’07.

here’s some real steampunk:

and more real steampunk:

9. Brad December 23, 2007 at 7:39 am #

The top hat one is the best. imagine these people to the song iron man.

10. Mergim December 24, 2007 at 1:41 am #

Who’s the guy with the albanian flag in the background.

11. Flok December 24, 2007 at 6:33 pm #

Most crapy thing i’ve ever seen

12. VAN STUKER December 25, 2007 at 1:49 am #

Probably an Albanian? and no they are gay no matter what song is played. And please if people are going to make fun of something make it perfect so they can’t make fun of you, (your spelling) the pink haired one is cute the others are fat and greasy. That must be the future!

13. Catie December 25, 2007 at 3:06 am #

your nerf guns are very intimidating… ugh.

14. Petey December 25, 2007 at 4:22 am #

I love this! Nice work. Great looking group, too. Really fun.

15. flop December 25, 2007 at 11:23 am #

just asking, is any of you not looking at this girls boobs?

16. Ryan December 25, 2007 at 12:59 pm #

you mean this one?

17. cagri aras December 25, 2007 at 8:21 pm #

steampunk girls are waaay too hot!

18. Negative, ghost rider January 2, 2008 at 6:06 pm #

How to say this nicely…. ok. One guy has a decent costume with fairly decent props and parts. You REALLY need detail and quality if your going to do this. Putting a stocking on your arm and spray painting a nerf gun bronze does not cut it, nor does plastic guns with the freaking protectors on the end. I agree with one of the posters… this is a genre that really doesn’t need to be bastardized and turned into a geek-fest. I attend Comicon religiously, so trust me when I tell you the last thing this genre needs is a bunch of fat geeks making crappy costumes out of this stuff. If it takes a thousand dollars and a few years to perfect your outfit, so be it… chances are you’ll outgrow it anyways.

This link should explain everything.

19. AidsFromGod March 5, 2008 at 6:47 am #

Vote Ron Paul 2012

20. Cassia March 5, 2008 at 8:04 am #

I’m not entirely certain why people feel the need to say that this is bastardizing steampunk at all. True, if you really want to achieve a steampunk-style photograph, I’d suggest the use of sepia tones and maybe some scratches, but the effort that went into these costumes is impressive, and for the most part, they fit the people who are wearing them very well. The nerf gun could definitely be pulled off better, and I’d advise against wearing spaghetti strapped tank tops or fake mustaches, but overall everything looks really good. Nice job, guys.

21. Traumatised March 5, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

BEGONE!

TO THE FIERY DEPTHS OF HELL WITH YOU!

22. faggot March 5, 2008 at 9:03 pm #

holy shit you guys look like fcking retards.

23. Obscured March 6, 2008 at 1:41 am #

This shit is awesome, and I’ll tell you why: because steampunk is not meant to be taken seriously, and these people know it! Just take it as it’s meant people, in a spirit of fun.

24. Lupe Garu March 6, 2008 at 3:05 am #

What a bunch of fucktards! Get lives.

25. kiskolou March 7, 2008 at 12:04 am #

Umm…Since when did we deny our geekiness? Yes, steampunk has many facets, some of them serious. But one of them is awesome geeky costumes.
    Commenting on their weight is just ungentlemanly. Talk about bastardizing steampunk…

They obviously put a lot of time into all this. Go ahead, learn metal/woodworking and make something “Real”, I’m behind you all the way. But these lovely folks never set out to do that. They set out to make some fun costumes, and they succeeded. One of the best thing about Steampunk is it doesn’t always take itself seriously, and elitism is just plain stupid.

26. V Dantes March 7, 2008 at 5:18 am #

I’m always amused when I find myself plastered all over websites and then to see furious outrage in the comments. I’m the bloke in the top hat in these pics and I designed and made most of the props in these pictures. All of these folks are part of my prop making company/ acting troupe, with the exception of the gentleman wielding the Nerf Maverick, who put together his outfit and props on his own. He’s a friend of a friend we met at a convention a while back and he tagged along for the photos and general hanging out.

As for the comments about needing lessons on metal working and wood working, it may come as a shock to you to realize that only a small percentage of the materials used are plastic, and only then to save weight. My hand cannon is entirely brass, steel, and wood. A few small pieces were converted toys, but the bulk of the stuff was made from raw materials, most of it metal, wood, and leather. If only your eyes were as keen as your mouth is quick. Incidentally, I taught classes in metal, wood, and leather working for 3 years, during which time I won numerous awards for those classes.

I simply love it when other people can’t stand to see complete strangers have fun. Lighten up guys and learn to enjoy life and let other people enjoy theirs. I don’t take myself seriously, it’s all in good fun. I’m a goofy dork, no doubt about it. I have a life, thank you very much, and a big part of it involves people paying me money to make things for them. Another part is going to conventions, dressing up in crazy outfits, drinking, and having fun. And another part involves other people flying me and my company around the world to appear at conventions in these costumes, all expenses paid. It’s a very sad life indeed! Perhaps I should better invest my time belittling strangers on the internet and being generally rude and unpleasant. Nah, I’d rather have fun doing what I love to do. ^_Q

I’m quite a fan of Datamancer and Jake Von Slatt’s work, but they’ve got computer mods covered, and I do my own thing. Does that make my work “fake” steampunk? If you insist. I’d like to see what you bring to the table that allows you to make such judgments. Why, you must be even more talented than Datamancer, as he likes my shoddy craftsmanship!

To everyone else who posted, thank you kindly for all of the warm compliments! If you enjoy these pics, please check out my deviantART: http://vladislausdantes.deviantart.com/

If you don’t like them, find something you do like and have fun with that. Try creating something rather than merely dragging things down for a change. There’s no need to rain on other people’s parades; make your own parade! I guarantee you will enjoy your life more.

27. Benevolent Troll March 7, 2008 at 8:39 am #

I just want the guy with that metal monocle (couldn’t remember what that weird type of hat’s called) to know that his picture is currently being used as the avatar of a certain The Great Sir Thaddeus Reginald Von Fontlebottom the Glorious Bastard of Fredericksburg II, a tribute to a character in Jade Empire voiced by John Cleese and a cross between Baron Munchhausen and a serial rapist.

Loved the pictures. You’re all complete nerds. Most everyone I’ve shown has agreed. However, every single person I’ve shown has agreed that this is totally fucking awesome.

FUUUUUUUUCK, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

28. Henrik April 3, 2008 at 6:10 pm #

Dykes?

29. chuck April 5, 2008 at 1:16 am #

Neat stuff! When I was young We made pipes that looked like some of your wepons. I like the ideas That you have going on. Thanks!

30. Bliss May 26, 2008 at 4:49 pm #

very very cool, I have a steampunk photo shoot coming up and Im so excited!!

31. Wicked August 4, 2008 at 7:26 am #

This is all a rip off of Dr Steel anyway … Kinda a cheap knockoff at that.

32. Eman66 November 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm #

Your attention to detail is excellent! Congrats!

33. Matt December 5, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

It looks like Torchwood meets the Time Machine! OK, so the “revolver” definitely needs changing, but I could see this being a hit TV series! I know I’d watch!

34. chris guest February 3, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

you guy rock,this is the coolest thing ever,and any one who thinks it’s not is a rad neck twat,keep it up

35. chris guest February 3, 2009 at 5:26 pm #

you guy rock,this is the coolest thing ever,and any one who thinks it’s not is a red neck twat,keep it up

36. BrujaHa October 14, 2009 at 3:18 am #

Beautiful work, folks!! And how fun to have a whole bunch of eclectic pals playing together with it. I’m ready to sign on to that voyage.

37. Milloux January 12, 2010 at 4:59 pm #

Hot. Srsly.

38. WestSidePirate February 22, 2010 at 6:31 pm #

I want to put a baby in the chick with pink hair. It’s to bad she’s a lesbian.