Advertising Vs Reality – A Product Comparison Project

A German website, Pundo3000.com, has conducted a study of 100 different products by comparing the look of the products as shown by the packaging with the actual contents inside the boxes. Quoting the website, which is in German: “All products were purchased, the packaging photographed and the contents prepared and photographed too. All products were then eaten up.” and also: “The purpose of the project is not to discredit any brands or products but to critically compare the packaging advertising with the inside contents”.

food092_0

food089_97

food090_98

food091_99

, ,

156 Responses to Advertising Vs Reality – A Product Comparison Project

1. Win March 25, 2008 at 1:19 am #

Oh thank you! This is why we don’t take these clients!

2. adaandrada March 25, 2008 at 1:49 am #

all the crap we eat…

3. mandy March 25, 2008 at 4:59 am #

Personally on the fish sticks, I think the real stuff looks better than the photo. Oh, and the Milkas chocolate is heavenly. :P However, the rest is crap.

4. Kimberly Edwards March 25, 2008 at 7:08 am #

I always am intrigued how products often look so very different than the photo or the commercial! Sometimes, it is straight trickery!

Great post!!!

Kimberly Edwards :)

5. Casper March 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

Ive wanted to eat recently… now i dont definitely…

6. Theo Epstein March 25, 2008 at 2:05 pm #

Say what you want about Americans, but at least we have the sense not to buy half of that stuff. I thought Europe was the birth place of fine cuisine…that stuff looks like crap. Bon appetit

7. Lala March 25, 2008 at 2:24 pm #

Congratulations! We’re CRAP EATERS!!!! We eat that shit! )))

8. Casper March 25, 2008 at 4:21 pm #

Nooo, i dont it this crap)) i cook myself ;-)

9. Smarkflea March 25, 2008 at 5:53 pm #

WTF? A hot dog in a granola bar…?

10. Juca March 25, 2008 at 6:03 pm #

In fact I`m European and i dont eat this kind of food, In Southern Europe generally we cook at home even if we are single like me and the great majority of my friends.
    As European these photos dosn`t affect me at all.
    It was in fact a surprise when i read the post of Theo saying how healthy is American Cuisine thats why americans are so skinny and healthy (see the reports on obesity in USA),
    from this moment i`m going to eat only american cuisine………..bon appetit pour vous

11. Matt March 25, 2008 at 6:10 pm #

Great post. I think something like this should be made mainstream. The result being better food or companies who make this crap go out of business. More than once, when buying a hot dog at a convienience store, I have asked the cashier if he would eat that hot dog. When there is a pause or an answer no, then I ask why do you expect me to pay for something that is not edible. Food is bad like this because people accept it. If you get a smashed burger take it back for a refund. Never accept a replacement order, as it may have spit or something in it.

12. Numnuts March 25, 2008 at 8:25 pm #

Looks yummy, in my tummy Wish I had some cant wait

13. cravens March 25, 2008 at 8:34 pm #

And this is why I have become such good friends with my kitchen. At least I know what I am eating. Down with cheap nasty insta food. yuck!

14. sir jorge March 25, 2008 at 8:39 pm #

I’m glad I can’t read some of those labels, I can’t imagine the ingredients.

15. Ned March 25, 2008 at 9:08 pm #

Wow.
    I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

The Heringssalat is a truly frightening color of Pepto Bismal.

16. rich March 25, 2008 at 9:36 pm #

The Grabower Krüsschen chocolate things of course look better IRL. The rest looks terrible. Bluergh! Awesome post. There’s a reason Germany isn’t renowned for its fine cuisine ;-) Let’s see some photos of beer vs advertising and I bet RL wins out.

17. john March 25, 2008 at 9:45 pm #

this makes me hungry

18. Kraeg March 25, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

The Big Mac Ads are at least closer to reality than in Canada.

19. Nick Lapitsky March 25, 2008 at 10:01 pm #

I wish there was a law to place photos of a serial produced food on its package.

Nick Lapitsky

20. anonymous gerbil March 25, 2008 at 10:19 pm #

Many look like crap, but also it’s very clear that many “real” food product pictures are taken in angle/light it prolly look worst or close to it…

21. Jan March 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm #

Some of that stuff looks dubious even from the photo. The tub salads don’t do well at all. I wish we had more sausage-based meals in the US..

22. John March 25, 2008 at 10:30 pm #

There’s way too much sauce in the actual food. On the other hand, they’ve shortchanged the creme fillings.

23. brendan March 25, 2008 at 10:34 pm #

Looks like most of the prepackaged meals are utter crap but some of it doesn’t seem half bad like the fish sticks and some of the chocolates.

@ Theo

To say that americans don’t eat crap is complete BS! It’s just different products, look at any fast food you get and compare it to the pictures, looks nothing like what is advertised. So don’t even try to pull the holier than thou attitude.

24. oren March 25, 2008 at 10:58 pm #

makes me grateful for living in a country where “prepared lunches” are nowhere to be found.
    we only have industrial-ready-made chicken shnitzels (which, although being processed meat and too fatty, aren’t THAT bad for you), hamburgers and kebabs (which are bad for you…).

how hard is it to cook decent food???

25. Louie March 25, 2008 at 11:01 pm #

Hey…Food is Food. Just taking on fuel? Want it quick…or good. Choice is yours.

26. Someone March 25, 2008 at 11:04 pm #

My fauvorites are Maggi and Knorr!

27. Ravenous March 25, 2008 at 11:12 pm #

Of course it’s going to look bad if you just leave it sitting in the can and take a picture of it. There was at least a little presentation put into taking the food out of the packaging and putting it on a plate in most of those pictures.

28. Jon March 25, 2008 at 11:19 pm #

What a fantastic (funtastic?) project!

Kudos to Pundo. Thanks for sharing their work.

29. Henryette March 25, 2008 at 11:22 pm #

Fortunately, I do not eat the terrible food and make all sauces
    myself !! I wish my son should not eat all these things too……though he likes my sauces and all the cooking I do, very much…

30. Tushan March 25, 2008 at 11:39 pm #

However, almost all of these products look like their advertising, except color post-production. Exceptions are, of course, sweets, that are designed to be liked by children. Otherwise, the microwave food is pretty much honest in its depiction! I’m hungry right now and i didn’t feel dissgust for one bit, no, I want these pastas and porridges!

31. Tanya March 25, 2008 at 11:42 pm #

I’ve worked in packaging design for over 10 years & the above samples have definitely taken it too far!

I agree with retouching an image within 10 – 15% of the product itself. This is normally to enhance appetite appeal & freshness for colour, not to display something completely different. If you add extra ingredients for the photo shoot the package should say “serving suggestion”, this allows clients to enhance the appetite appeal with garnishes & serve in a nice bowl etc.

Why do clients choose to over promise in photography, it’s just setting them selves up for disappointed unsatisfied customers who won’t come back.

32. Felipe Spina March 25, 2008 at 11:47 pm #

Really !!!
    Cool post!

33. sageterius March 25, 2008 at 11:49 pm #

wow…it’s a tie between the Krosser Cheeseburger and the Herring Salad. maybe if those wacky northern Europeans wouldn’t put herring in everything….

34. Matthew F March 26, 2008 at 12:22 am #

A lot of them would look better if they were put on a plate, the way the advertising shows.

Also, almost all of the actual pictures are more blue (and therefore less yellow) than the advertising… that may be due to the advertisers making them more yellow (and therefore more appetizing) or it could be due to the lighting in the actual photography. The food in the actual pictures would look significantly better slightly more yellow.

35. earl-ku March 26, 2008 at 12:34 am #

serving suggestions …

products may differ in colour, size, shape, taste and markings …

36. pasipasi March 26, 2008 at 12:49 am #

In Finland, companies avoid getting prosecuted by saying the image is a serving recommendation of the meal, not what actually is seen inside. This writing is seen in all almost all food packaging.

37. Terry Boalla March 26, 2008 at 1:26 am #

You are what you eat… no wonder there’s so much Eurotrash

38. mike March 26, 2008 at 1:54 am #

YUK!!!!!!! how gross dose the hacksteaks look!

39. USA March 26, 2008 at 4:31 am #

If we had information like this at the point of purchase it would make it much easier to choose products. I’m surprised how many looked similar to the photos on the packages. Certain foods tend to be processed well, like chocolate, fruit, bread/crackers, and fish sticks. McDonald’s and KFC were very similar too. “5 Horchen” looked exactly the same even. ha. Foods that don’t do well: chunky food in sauces or soups, meats, fish fillets, and frozen meals. good lessons.

40. S March 26, 2008 at 4:55 am #

41. rory March 26, 2008 at 4:55 am #

i eat some nasty stuff on a regular basis, but even i wouldn’t eat some of those soups.

42. tehghey March 26, 2008 at 5:57 am #

OMG, do people really eat this crap? It all looks like puke in a cup.
    I thought the US had crappy packaged food. Now I feel privileged to not eat the packaged crap in the US.

43. Blake March 26, 2008 at 8:08 am #

Wow German food looks fucking gross even when in idealized art form.

44. tron1981 March 26, 2008 at 8:35 am #

I’m hungry… ㅜㅜ

45. Painen Megroin March 26, 2008 at 9:56 am #

Thanks for trying to load malware from “trustedantivirus.com” on my computer. My blockers stopped it. Assholes!!

46. alex March 26, 2008 at 10:17 am #

hahaha,the big mac looks the same

47. pj March 26, 2008 at 10:18 am #

and thats how we live in a simulation where every thing is for making us slave

48. Mawkish March 26, 2008 at 11:21 am #

You cook yourself? That must be painful.

49. Aleks March 26, 2008 at 11:25 am #

It is better to dine at home :)

50. Hun Boon March 26, 2008 at 12:04 pm #

Surprisingly, some of the companies are pretty honest! :P

51. Marc March 26, 2008 at 12:29 pm #

Well, the photo on the package is always marked “Serviervorschlag” (Serving suggestion) as required by German law. Means, not everything you see on the package is actually inside (some decoration may have been added). You CAN make the dish look like the pic. If you try. Hard. ;-)

52. idodialog March 26, 2008 at 1:26 pm #

Australian packagers, be very scared, getting my camera out now!

53. Delight March 26, 2008 at 2:29 pm #

and, we europeans thought always that all americans think USA is the hole world.

54. Herberto March 26, 2008 at 2:32 pm #

Normalnie kurwa zajebiaszczo…

55. Michael March 26, 2008 at 3:24 pm #

Oh, so funny these americans. The brith of fine cuisine might be in Europe, but certainly not in Germany. You’d better look in France or in Italy. But to defend my people: we don’t eat this crap all the time (at least I hope most here don’t).
    There are still people cooking on there own, it’s just not fine cuisine ^^

56. Michael March 26, 2008 at 3:25 pm #

There are still people cooking on their own, it’s just not fine cuisine ^^

57. Ha ha ha March 26, 2008 at 4:11 pm #

woah, i dont get it?! am i retarded?

58. Smarkflea March 26, 2008 at 4:34 pm #

Is that a hot dog in a granola bar…?

59. Greg J March 26, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

Very cool, I’ve always thought about this! Thanks for taking the time to even try and match the pose, type of utensil, and cut of each item — very interesting. I live in the United States, and have never seen most of these items, but they look interesting and some look pretty tasty!

60. Aiwan March 26, 2008 at 5:49 pm #

Hm, well, these foodstuffs look different from the ads they’re shown, but still edible. Take some effort to decorate it and voila.

61. behnaz March 26, 2008 at 6:00 pm #

I dont eat these craps either, all are full of preservatives !!! I prefer to cook my self !
    and it has benefits also , when I cook my self it cost me half the price than buying a prepared food ! thanks for the photos anyway !

62. Valandar March 26, 2008 at 6:16 pm #

It’s sad when a McDonald’s product looks more like the advertising photo than nearly anything else…

63. Mark March 26, 2008 at 6:22 pm #

why is it that we continue to buy food products that blatantly mislead us with their imagery. Frankly I would not buy a product whose package image looks lik a dog turd nestled gently ontop of a bile of cow vomit seeded with bird droppings – all I can say is that those who buy these products get what they deserve.
    Frankly if I need a picture of the product on the front of the package to let me know what I am buying then maybe I shouldn’t be buying it!

Mark

64. dream March 26, 2008 at 6:50 pm #

Oh yeah, Mr. Epstein- Americans are famous for their healthy food choices and a healthy lifestyle in general, which inevitably reflects on their physical appearance. *eyeroll*
    I lived both in Europe and U.S. and have to say that most people don’t buy frozen tv dinners in Europe which are obviously most disgusting things on here.. and as far as I know Americans are the ones that INVENTED a concept of tv dinner and (do I even need to emphasize this) fast food.
    I had some amazing home cooked meals in Europe and they really were meals made at home from scratch- while I lived in U.S. the concept of home cooked meal included mashed potato made from a powder, pees and tomato sauce from the can etc..
    European cuisine is based on fresh groceries, and even though in the last 20 years there’s been more crap on the shelves- most people still make the healthy choices.
    Though I have to say: Germans are probably the fattest nation in Europe, hence all the labels on the products.

65. Thy Tran March 26, 2008 at 7:05 pm #

Great post!!

I was a food stylist for a week in a past life, so this brings back (not so) fond memories. I had to pick through scores and scores of soup cans for the “perfect” carrots. Legally, we had to use only ingredients found inside the cans or boxes, but no limitation on how many we had to open to gather enough material for delicious-looking photos.

And, for some reason, we were allowed to use glue for the “milk” on cereal boxes.

66. Nikki March 26, 2008 at 7:05 pm #

Is that really pizza with tuna fish on it? Come on now. I don’t care where you’re from. Tuna fish + pizza = baaaaaad idea

67. Anna March 26, 2008 at 7:07 pm #

Comida del Lidl.
    ¡Típica!; falta el “arroz en 5 minutos”

68. Vikki March 26, 2008 at 7:13 pm #

Oh please, Americans eat this and more… I loved the comparative. It looks like college food. I wish they had done TV dinners, those are the worst! If they put an actual photo on the front, do you think anyone would buy it?

69. za3tar March 26, 2008 at 7:34 pm #

Ewwh … however, this does not look half as bad as the results in “Fast Food Ads vs. Reality” http://www.thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm

70. Michael March 26, 2008 at 7:38 pm #

> Say what you want about Americans, but at least we have the sense not to buy half of that stuff.

Probably because you only have the choice between Burger King and Mc Donalds ^^

I love stupid generalizations …

Not to forget: Europe is not a country. It’s a german project, and Germany for sure never claimed to be the birth place of fine cuisine ^^ We are more the Kassler, Rollbraten and Weißwurst guys. You mean France and Italy.

71. Morley March 26, 2008 at 7:55 pm #

Strictly speaking, this is the fault of product design, not advertising. Although I’m sure most ads hawking these products use the same imagery.

72. Ciao ciao March 26, 2008 at 9:19 pm #

Generally, the pictures are very different from reality, but I have a few points:

*I’ve actually had the Balconi Tiramisu and it looked more like the packaging than what was presented above. In fact, I thought it was a little too fluffy for my taste.

*The person just put the curry powder on the Currywurst without actually mixing it up. Mixing it up would probably make the food look more like the picture. In fact, if the person spent a little time in presentation a lot of the food he made could be made to look like the picture.

Re: Theo Epstein

You’re judging fine cuisine by looking at the pre-packaged food from Germany? Wow.

73. 4ak March 26, 2008 at 9:24 pm #

I lolled

74. Camila. March 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm #

Does someone really think buyng dehidrated soup that the vegetables will apear in the some way shown in the pack?

75. Camila. March 26, 2008 at 10:22 pm #

Some of them have a disgusting appearence.

76. no name March 26, 2008 at 10:56 pm #

to casper if you ever recive this good for you

77. Angela March 26, 2008 at 11:00 pm #

Fantastic! Especially the name ‘Wuerstchen Lunch’, haha! What a study! :D

78. F******g_Shit March 27, 2008 at 12:25 am #

Cook ourserves our meals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop this madness!!!!!!!!!!!!

79. Brian March 27, 2008 at 12:55 am #

Following what you said Kimberly: If you look closely you’ll be able to spot the words ‘serving suggestion’, or the German equivalent, on some of the packaging. That enables the packaging’s designer to make the pack shots appear more appetizing by adding extra ingredients, without getting into trouble legally.

80. KILLME March 27, 2008 at 2:13 am #

lol

81. OniNeko March 27, 2008 at 8:39 pm #

@ Theo Epstein: My, what a shallow statement. I imagine you base everything you have and do on appearance rather than substance, don’t you?

82. Food and Wine Pairing Tips March 27, 2008 at 8:50 pm #

It’s enough to make you want to cook from scratch.
    Kathleen Lisson

83. :) March 30, 2008 at 6:51 am #

I just farted :)

84. Tom March 30, 2008 at 12:34 pm #

As an American serviceman living in Europe for over 5 years, I must say that this ‘crap’ still is much better than the true crap we have back home. Looks aren’t everything; the food in Europe tastes (on the average) much better than the U.S….I believe because the produce is so much better. I never knew that a tomato had flavor until I lived in Germany…I discovered fresh strawberries (erdberren) actually are wonderful – unlike the tastless ones I knew from the U.S.

True, it may not look that good, but if eaten, it would taste much better than a comparative product in the states. If Americans knew how bad the food truly is in the states, we would probably revolt!

85. Jason March 30, 2008 at 8:58 pm #

Tom,

Where exactly did you live in the US? Maybe tomatoes you bought in the grocery store in Maine in December were flavorless, but many of the South and Western states are going to produce fruit just as fresh, if not fresher, than fruit in Europe.

You wouldn’t expect the tomatoes in Norway to taste as good as tomatoes grown in Spain. Why would you expect tomatoes from Pennsylvania to taste as fresh as ones from the Rhineland?

86. Natalie March 30, 2008 at 9:31 pm #

Corny Bars and Hanuta. YUM!
    I remember seeing these things when i lived in Germany…i think i bought the currywurst thing one time. It was rank.
    Loved this.

87. Michael March 31, 2008 at 3:29 am #

@ Jason: I would definitively prefer those from Norway to those from Spain. In Spain they grow them to often in a year and to fast, they are fresh, but they have no taste but the taste of water. Those my grandma grows in her green house here in Germany taste like real tomato. Same goes for those my father grows. I never (!) got such tomatoes in a supermarket. You only get tomatoes once in a year for probably two or three weeks. The crap you get before and after only looks like tomatoes.

88. Snap offs ! April 1, 2008 at 2:12 am #

My snap offs look more eatable than that Rinderroulade sh#t !

89. Michael April 1, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

Oh, so sweet. Those “Rinderrouladen” are really close to what they look like when cooked by a real cook. And they are delicious. Those you see on the photo are still ok.
    But to spread some more clichés: you “mayonnaise on everything” eaters will never know what a real sauce is ^^

90. jez April 1, 2008 at 1:29 pm #

unbelievable what some of us eat day in day out, I almost barfed.

91. Aaron April 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm #

The photos make me sort of sad. The food tried it’s hardest to live up to it’s reputation on the outside of the packaging, only to fail the person eating the food. The photos could have used a little more effort to match the packaging but for the most part people just tear the package open and eat without regard to the appearance anyway.

92. Marshmallow Man April 3, 2008 at 4:19 am #

Im just sitting here scoffing a pack of marshmallows and saw this web site i too thought i threw up a little but it could be from what im eating now . im glad i live in australia where we are at the mercy of coles and wollies for choice or lack of it . better to grow our own food and vegies

93. OLD-WOOD April 3, 2008 at 5:08 pm #

I’m Where Hungry………………………..

94. linnea April 3, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

False advertising goes even further when you consider how many foods claim fruity goodness in packaging and advertising (in the US) but contain almost no fruit at all. Follow the link to see some examples : http://www.preventioninstitute.org/sa/fruit/

95. sireatalot April 5, 2008 at 3:20 am #

yeah…the germans…always the germans… anything else besides the II world war and bla bla bla? now comes the food…humm wonder what comes next!
    USA hell yeah, very elegant, very healthy people, no doubt….uh and don’t forget the great american world known cuisine skills…. aka “fast food” (maybe it’ll work with a french accent)

96. Riki April 5, 2008 at 10:23 am #

Anyone who noticed that this is all about canned food? This must be almost everything you can get in cans or to just heat up you can find in Germany. No come and tell me German or european cooking is unhealthy, let’s do the same test in USA, just to see how things turn out, will we?
    By the way, there’s a large number of herring salads from different producers, it’s not that all germans just eat herring all day.
    Honestly, prejudices about a country quite far from the USA and, as your president stated so precisely “in the middle of Europe”, should be avoided. If you haven’t seen Germany for yourself and lived there, keep you opinions by yourself. And I will keep mine about the USA; although I’ve been there and lived there.
    Oh, and by law all packages have to say “serving suggestion”.

97. Sherlock Holmes April 8, 2008 at 10:02 am #

“I think this shows that packaged food is inferior to meals prepared from fresh ingredients.”

No shit??? Keep searching, Watson!

98. Kadin April 16, 2008 at 3:04 am #

I was overall impressed, honestly. We all know not to trust the packaging or advertising as to what we’re going to get, but quite a few of these products were presented with only slight cosmetic improvement over the actual result, and some of them looked absolutely as good as they did on the box.

99. Joana April 18, 2008 at 10:09 am #

Eehehe…this happens everywhere…not only in this specific products!! people in this business are like anybody else in other business…try to see the commercials in the TV, the information and the global economie…they are joking with us and you are joking with somebody else…it’s a powerfull circle…we don’t care about the children of others but we care about our children…more money makes the humans “adorables”…(don’t you think?)…lol

100. IludiumPhosdex April 20, 2008 at 6:15 pm #

I believe the United States has a similar requirement for “serving suggestion” being displayed on the packaging.

And, under certain circumstances, “enlarged to show texture.”

101. jjothoqin April 21, 2008 at 7:52 pm #

THat is all so gross looking on the real package. but all at the same time, so true on what happens. the olny way halv the shit sells is if they do make it look good.

102. Chris Schultz April 25, 2008 at 7:35 am #

I’m surprised that it took some enterprising Germans to put this together. As an American, I’m so used to the package not looking like the product that this stuff didn’t even occur to me. And with the Bush administration screwing around with our Food and Drug Administration and food purity laws, I’ll settle for food that doesn’t make me sick, even if it looks bad.

103. Cat May 1, 2008 at 12:10 am #

I work as a graphic designer in the US, and in most cases ad photography of items is not too far from the reality of what you get. Foodstuffs happens to be the place where all the scoundrels come out the play. They hire food dressers who carefully position and prep foods, often adding surplus items in contrasting colors to make the plates appetizing. That red background on many fast food pics is not there accidentally – red has been shown to increase appetite more than any other color.

For example, in a pic of a burger, even if there are no added items, it is likely that:

1: the burger will be misted with oil drops to look fresh and hot
    2: tomatoes will be under ripe so they’ll hold their shape
    3: both tomatoes and onions will be sliced thicker than would ever occur in store (about 1/4″)
    4: lettuce will be from the center of a head, so that it too will hold up
    5: toothpicks will be used to hold everything together without pressing on it
    6: sauces will be put on after the sandwich is built, by squeezing them on only where they will show to protect the bun
    7: the bun won’t just be the one available, they’ll go through as many bags as needed and even pop them into a toaster oven

The rules say that’s all okay to do, as long as you also say “serving suggestion” – after all, it’s the same ingredients you order!

Thanks for posting all the pics guys, it was really an entertaining look at truth in advertising!

104. itsme May 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm #

# rich
    March 25th, 2008 – 9:36 pm

excuse me, but where do burger king, mcdonalds, kentucky fried chicken come from? ….
    do the advertising photos look more realistic in the usa? really?

105. Faith May 6, 2008 at 8:55 am #

You serious?! You Americans say that your food does not look like that?! Ha ha let me laugh a bit, your food looks exactly like that as well honey! I’ve benn in the US and I loved it, but the only thing I hated was the food! You don’t have anything “eatable” over there so please do not say that about European food OK, first look at your grocery stores! All fast food and pre-packaged food looks like crap because there is no other way with all that artificial stuff in it in order to keep it “fresh”.
    Just needed to be said ;o)

106. Daniel May 17, 2008 at 9:41 am #

food taste better based on the soil that it’s grown in that’s probably why America food has no taste as here in NZ food is quiet good compared to food grown is the desert next to us (Australia), Even tho they are of a hotter climate than us

107. Richy May 24, 2008 at 2:07 am #

Ugh, this is why I never buy anything prepackaged. And it doesn’t matter where you live, this kinda thing happens all over the world. 90% of prepackaged food is way worse then advertised. Wonder how well they’d do if they were required to tell the health risks associated with each ingredient in their slop.

108. Justin Kistner May 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm #

Man, I wouldn’t want most of that food if it came out looking just like the package. Seems like Germans are realy into milky rice, sausages, and herrings. Any food that combines one of those 3 staples with fruit or wraps it in some bready product will sell boatloads of preprocessed food.

109. nisti2 May 27, 2008 at 4:01 pm #

amazing!! jeje

110. faye May 28, 2008 at 12:55 am #

Wow, that was disgusting. I don’t think I could eat some of that stuff. LoL

My Chemical Romance

111. UkuleleMike May 28, 2008 at 1:48 am #

Now we know why those Eurpoeans are all so healthy-they open this crap, take one look, throw it out and eat something healthy instead! Bleach!

112. Il Duce May 28, 2008 at 4:46 am #

Gourmet food can’t be found in a box?

113. wolfguy423 May 28, 2008 at 6:10 am #

LOL, me is HUNGRY for CheeezBurger!

*drools*

114. lolemo May 28, 2008 at 11:03 am #

Ooh.. My stomach heaved at some of these ( like the weiner of spinach-thing).
    Still, thanks!

115. Catracks May 28, 2008 at 2:30 pm #

The Wurstenlunch et. al. looks liked vomit. Frankly, you get what you deserve when choosing to eat packaged/canned food.

Tinned fish is NEVER a good idea.

116. anonymous May 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm #

lol internet argument

117. bleh May 28, 2008 at 7:43 pm #

@Michael: ‘In Spain they grow them to often in a year and to fast, they are fresh, but they have no taste but the taste of water.’

PROtip: Water has no taste

118. Gaz May 28, 2008 at 9:52 pm #

Ick. Well, if they didn’t have the package looking pretty, then who would buy it? I’m an American, and I do agree that fast food is dominant in the food market. But please don’t stereotype all of us into one category. There are some of us that do enjoy REAL food and home-cooked meals. Even then, I have to agree, Europe is ten times better than America in many ways. I can’t wait to go there myself =D

119. Max Normal May 29, 2008 at 1:00 am #

Been to Germany, many towns have huge open air markets selling all manner of totally fresh organic produce that you’d struggle to get in many parts of Europe, let alone the rest of the world (and I’ve never seen that on my trips to the States). This food was evidently chosen for being particularly nasty ready meals for germanic chavs, so don’t criticize the poor Krites too much. Here in Blighty, most pre-packaged food is covered with a clear top so you can see what you are actually getting before you buy it, and anyone who expects a Big Mac to look like the picture on the wall of the resturant or a TV dinner to actually be edible, only ever does once in their lives.

120. Home cooked meals FTW June 1, 2008 at 8:08 am #

Tom,
    Where did you eat when you were in America? Mashed potatoes from the box? Now that’s just sad. I’ll show you what a real home cooked American meal is all about. As for food from Germany, a dear friend of mine is German and she knows her way around a kitchen pretty well.

Max Normal,
    We do have organic markets here in the US that sell everything from produce to meat.

For everyone, we all have our crap and sadly we eat it too, no need to get all defensive.

“can’t we all just get along?”
    :-P

121. Greta June 3, 2008 at 5:12 pm #

Why are most of these German?
    I’m pretty sure some American packaged foods looks just as shitty. Let’s see some of those too.

122. June 4, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD

123. sz June 6, 2008 at 8:57 am #

some products here don’t seem to look more different that on their packages, but if the main idea was that we are trainned by the market to catch their tricks i’m all for showing this to people (meabe this is why – i don’t know: because of last years of living in peoples republic of poland – i like design of tesco products, which is somehow transparent: you see only product, or you can not see it…:)

124. pineapple June 10, 2008 at 9:11 am #

THAT’S WHY WE NEED DESIGNERS. graphic and packaging is a GOOD attraction for markets. that’s how they earn money :D

125. Wow... June 15, 2008 at 1:52 am #

Jesus, what a big difference

It’s just a big trick to get us to buy things that we really didn’t buy

126. mary June 30, 2008 at 1:10 am #

some of the stuff actually looks alright…i mean, duh it not going to look like magic right out of the box…but some of the stuff looks perfectly fine…and the little mint-chocolate squares looks the EXACT same…

kinda pissed me off.

127. Unhappy Shopper July 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm #

Really good.

128. Peppo Pippo July 3, 2008 at 3:43 am #

Any fast food outlet the food on display on the menu is full sized, but actual potion is quite small, isnt it fraud to show one thing and sell another ?

129. HER July 3, 2008 at 4:18 pm #

Dirty krauts.

130. Michi July 4, 2008 at 5:20 am #

That food looks like it went bad a month ago. Well, you can’t expect anything THAT great from a can… or a package…

131. wenjy July 6, 2008 at 8:58 am #

Yack! disgusting.
    have you notised that the vegetables in the supermarkets are lit with yellow lite to make them prettier? take it out of the yellow light and take a good look before you buy!

132. JJ July 9, 2008 at 2:58 pm #

Well, you should all see my girlfriend without her make-up…

133. wenjy July 9, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

hopefully not the same thing JJ….

134. Felix July 9, 2008 at 11:19 pm #

This is why I don’t buy these kind of things..

135. Efraim July 13, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

Who sells this shit? yuck.. and people buy it? baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

136. Emilia Galotti July 13, 2008 at 9:21 pm #

Some of these meals look like what you what expect to eat after a nuclear war or something alike ^^ … eeek!

137. Diya Ibrahim July 18, 2008 at 12:35 am #

i think its wrong how they scam you by telling you its all nice and fresh then when you get it it’s all ugly and even stale sometimes thats bad it should be against the law they have no right to do that to us. :( peace out :p

138. ivan July 23, 2008 at 5:41 am #

Жесть:)

139. Gus July 24, 2008 at 2:27 am #

Hey, I liked too much this comparison between what should be sold and from what was really bought.

140. Raksati August 2, 2008 at 5:35 am #

Yhanks a lot! I’ll link your post so to let see to my friends what craps they eat! :)
    Great post!
    Thank you very much!

141. recentbookmarks September 12, 2008 at 7:08 pm #

I feel so lucky being able to cook :)

142. malone September 13, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

sieht scheiße aus, aber durch die geschmacksverstärker, aromen und sonstige chemiekalien lässt es sich gut verkaufen. schlimm sowas…

143. T Trimper September 25, 2008 at 3:57 am #

And people wonder why I “waste my time” cooking for myself instead of eating packaged foods.

144. niki October 2, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

advertising in the UK is regulated, and under trade descriptions act… we may have a case if some of these end up on our sheves!!

145. chris December 8, 2008 at 7:18 am #

its not the food who’s looking bad, its photos who’s looking too good (computer remakes, light adjusting and stuff), its exactly same thing as in case of womens in most of magazines , on photos they are perfect but look the real one and u gonna be sick ….

146. Charlotte Emma February 8, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

Hello Everyones,

It is a great honor we have the chance to introduce our products to you.We are dedicate to supply high quality Nikon D700, HP ProLiant ML350, mobile phones such as TV PHONE,DUAL SIM DUAL STANDBY, WATCH PHONE and DESKTOP P3 P4, Laptop Sony displays/screens from monitor or laptop Wavecom upconverter UC4040D,new/used Software, OEM, labeled DVD Writersand Fujitsu Siemens harddrives etc. With high quality, competitive price and good service we have win many clients from different countries.

please contact us freely, we will contact you at the first time. If you have any question and inquiry please tell us. Thank you. Thank you for your time.Our comapny have a direct Seller of all Mobile Phones. We can start supplying min.of 300.000(UNITS) per month and after 5-6 month we can double or triple the quantity. Contract shall be effective for 12 month, with possibility of farther extension of the contract, upon mutual consent of the Parties. Delivery FOB United Kingdom port. Price European platts. If you are interested about this transaction, have verifiable information and financially capable, please contact us. Reply only if you are serious about this transaction. None of us want to waste time.

New sealed with 1 year warranty!

Thanks in advance

Contact: Ms.Charlotte Emma

The Carphone Warehouse Limited
    1 Portal Way
    London W3 6RS
    England and Wales
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Registered No.02142673
    VAT Number: 927226520
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Tel: +447031906669, Mobile:+447031986760

147. AllDWay April 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

This was so dang funny. Who says you get what you pay for? Maybe 3 of these looked better than the photos. Crazy but so true. And yes even American product packaging lie too. This is the funniest research I’ve seen.

148. charles moncrieff July 2, 2009 at 10:51 am #

i think i prefer the wrapping

149. tshai July 20, 2009 at 2:53 pm #

the pizza and the fish sticks look good but the rest crap… we need more pics of these stuff so we can actually buy our moneys worth

150. sandrar September 10, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

151. megan fox September 11, 2009 at 11:53 am #

Sign: umsun Hello!!! rcuwwymhyw and 8341ssgfhphzye and 2070Great Blog!

152. Dent42 September 23, 2009 at 3:55 pm #

crappy food is crappy food, no matter how bad it looks. most of this stuff is just canned shit, some looks quite acceptale.
    Anyway, i would eat any of this if i’m really stoned…..maybe except the Heringssalat, it freaks me out

153. humanrace September 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm #

Sign: efrcm Hello!!! nvfzt and 5019uvkvhkkqtd and 8145 : Sorry, what did you mean?? A??

154. anodized cookware April 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

Food is always like that, especially fast food. you should all know that.

155. Laura June 21, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

I think an appealing image on the packaging can help improve sales. However, if the product doesn’t live up to the image on the packaging customers may not be willing to purchase the product again unless it tastes really good. Chances are brands will only be able to trick customers once.